The 3 Best Marketing Moments of January 2021
The highly-anticipated January came with the hope and expectation of a better year. For brands, it certainly represented a chance of presenting their fresh new marketing ideas to the world. Now that it has passed, we can take a look at some of the best January marketing moments of the month.
1. Bernie Sanders and his Mittens
January marked the inauguration of a new US President and yet, one of the most iconic moments did not feature Joe Biden at all.
You have most likely seen the viral photo of Bernie Sanders wearing his blue mask and his iconic mittens whilst sitting down on a foldable chair at the inauguration. The adorable photo quickly reached people all around the globe, creating a moment which united the Internet. In a few hours, it became a meme: people would edit Bernie standing in their front yard, and an Instagram filter made it very easy to place him right into your living room. Moreover, this innocent meme helped raise $1.8 million for charity through official merchandise.
Brands jumped on the trend to gain visibility, one of the most iconic ones being IKEA. The Facebook account of IKEA Greece posted an ad which quickly became viral, featuring two of their products: the chair, and oven mittens.
On their website, the agency behind the ad said: “Bernie Sanders’ simple and practical inauguration look became an instant meme. And since IKEA is the simple and practical expert, this was a perfect opportunity to create a branded meme about how to get the Bernie look in two simple steps”.
IKEA Greece / Ogilvy Greece
The ad sadly cannot fully reproduce the look in its entirety, since Bernie’s mittens were handcrafted from recycled sweaters and bottles. However, fans might be able to recreate the look soon enough, since the mittens are in the early steps of being mass-produced.
Either way, this ad has proven to be highly successful and praised by marketers all around the world. It is not even the first time IKEA has aced viral marketing, having previously promoted the fact that Game of Thrones was often using their rugs and pelts as part of their prompts.
If you want to join the trend next time a photo goes viral, do not worry: you do not need to buy editing software or wait for Instagram to release a filter. You can easily do it, using an online tool such as Mediamodifier.
2. Barilla’s Playlists
Pasta is one of the most loved dishes, but it’s also one of the hardest things to get right. One of the most essential parts of the cooking process is paying attention to the timing. As part of their January marketing, Barilla thought of a genius way to help people solve this problem: to get their pasta perfectly cooked, the Italian pasta brand has teamed with Spotify to create a couple of playlists whose durations perfectly correspond to the cooking time of most pasta shapes.
Barilla / Publicis
This collaboration between the two big names is a simple concept in theory but it has proven to be rather genius. People love to listen to music whilst they cook, and now their playlists also have a practical side. The idea is that once the water starts to boil, you add the pasta and start listening to the playlist which matches your pasta shape. When the music stops, it means that your pasta should stop cooking as well.
You can find the playlists on Barilla Italy’s Spotify.
3. Heinz’s Anonymous Ketchup
Sticking to successful marketing in the food genre, we cannot ignore Heinz’s January ad which impressed marketers all around the world with its clever idea.
What do you think of when you hear the word “ketchup”? Heinz recently conducted a little experiment to answer this very question. Along with the marketing agency Rethink, it anonymously invited people from five continents to “draw ketchup.”
The majority of the people interviewed envisioned bottles of Heinz, which is obvious based on the distinct shape they drew. Some went so far as to include the brand’s name, their logo, the famous “57” number from the bottle, or the tomatoes that appear on the label.
The campaign highlights the global power of brands (and Heinz in particular) and the importance of consistent packaging design.
In addition to releasing this as a video ad, the company has decided to use some of the drawings on billboards, accompanied by a very clever new slogan: “We asked people to draw ketchup. They drew Heinz”. The labels from this experiment will also be featured on some limited-edition Heinz bottles.
Kraft Heinz Canada
Honourable January marketing mention:
Burger King has changed its logo for the first time in 20 years. The logo replaces the previous design which was introduced in 1999, bringing back a revisioned version of their retro logo. According to its designer Lisa Smith, removing the artificial-looking blue was a subtle nod to new improvements in the brand’s food.
“Our choice to remove the colour blue was somewhat symbolic of Burger King’s recent removal of colours, flavours, and preservatives from artificial sources,” she explained to Dezeen.
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Happy Fathers Day Mug Design in a Coffee Much On Sand Beach
- Showroom For Rent Sign in yard Sign Mockup Generator in front of House
- Showroom Sign Design in a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom Large Sign Design on a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom House Rent Sign in Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom For Rent Sign Design in Yard Sign Mockup Template
- Showroom Rent Advertisement in Yard Sign Mockup Generator