February 12 marks the beginning of a new Lunar Year – the Year of the Metal Ox! Astrologers manifest hard work, intelligence, reliability and positivity for the upcoming year.
It’s a great opportunity for brands to stand out if you do it right.
Here are some of our best tips to help you increase revenue, build trust and create a bond with your audience.
1) Research, research, research
Chinese customs go back thousands of years and each family’s traditions stem back generations. Your audience will be able to tell if you’re just posting for the sake of posting.
Read about the history of the celebrations, symbols and all the nuances. Once you feel like you’ve got a good plan, ask for feedback from experts who will tell you the truth.
2) Avoid generic messages
“Happy Year of the Ox” will just blend in with all the other thousand similar posts and shows you didn’t put effort into your posts.
The Chinese New Year celebrations are all about family, luck, health, and wealth. As a brand, it’s the perfect opportunity to show your audience that you share those values and build trust.
Figure out what values are important for your audience and which ones tie in with your brand.
3) Use unique, stunning visuals
The keywords for 2021: red, gold, oxen, metal, calligraphy, ang pow (red packets), thinking outside of the box.
Most posts during Chinese New Year will be of a red ox with gold lettering and you don’t want to get lost in the masses. Think about what’s unique to your brand and make the most of it.
For example, create a unique ang pow, design clothing with an ox on it, have an ox peeking out of a milk bottle or put an ox into a setting it would never normally be found in. This is the place to be creative!
If you would like some inspiration, we’ve got free templates for you to use here.
4) Incorporate Chinese characters
Even if your demographic is English-speaking, duplicate at least the main message into Mandarin or Cantonese. This will make your post seem more authentic and your Chinese audience will love it, but make sure to consult with fluent speakers before posting!
Some examples in Mandarin:
新年快乐 “New Year happiness” is a formal greeting typically used toward strangers
过年好 “Happy Lunar New Year” is a traditional informal greeting used throughout the celebrations
恭喜发财 “Happiness & prosperity” is a way to wish people good fortune
You can find ready spell-checked templates with traditional wishes here.
5) Use lucky symbols
In China, numbers and other symbols are often associated with good luck and fortune. Use them to convey understanding and prosperity to your audience
Lucky symbols for the year of the ox:
Numbers: 1 and 9
Colors: red, blue and purple
Flowers: tulip, evergreen and peach blossom
Directions: southeast, south and north
Unlucky symbols to avoid:
Numbers: 3 and 4
Colors: white and green
6) Share tips & tricks
Chinese New Year traditions are a lot of work for many families who have to cook, clean, shop and organize travel for their families.
Some examples: a recipe for shumai, outfit ideas for New Year’s Eve or how to use Feng shui to encourage calm.
7) Collaborate with other brands
One of the core values for the festivities is togetherness, which makes Chinese New Year a perfect excuse to collaborate with artists or other brands to create something amazing.
This could be merchandise, a giveaway, art, red packets or a bundle package. Whatever you create, make sure you find the right partner where you’ll both gain value.
This is an especially good opportunity if a Lunar New Year campaign otherwise wouldn’t make too much sense for your brand alone.
8) Engage with your audience
Like any other campaign, create dialogue and co-create with your followers.
Ask them to post a photo of their traditions, ask them about their favorite dish, create a craft challenge, offer advice, start a discussion about the past year, encourage your followers to send well-wishes, hold a giveaway. The opportunities are endless.
Most importantly, keep a close eye on the results. Reply to as many comments as possible and react to posted photos. This will make your audience feel valued and as if they’re part of your brand’s story, not just talking to themselves.
9) Use the right channels
If your brand is on it, WeChat should be the focal point of your Chinese New Year marketing strategy.
If not, use whatever channels make sense and don’t repost the same thing everywhere. Every channel should have a unique purpose and demographic. This campaign should feel organic in the setting.
For example, if you only use Instagram for behind-the-scenes posts and your followers are stay-at-home moms in Southern America, maybe think about using another medium.
10) This last one is for the Western brand out there – don’t appropriate Chinese culture
There’s a fine line between celebration and cultural appropriation.
Make sure the celebration logically ties in with your strategy and doesn’t come off as just another thing you had to tick off your diversity strategy. If you’re not 100% certain, consult with experts.
If you are planning a Chinese New Year campaign, we’d love to know what you’re planning! Let us know in the comments below.
About the author
Jaana Saastamoinen is a freelance blogger for Stone Social. She is an enthusiastic blogger and marketing specialist interested in writing about all things marketing, social media, work, travel and lifestyle.
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom TV Screen Photoshop Mockup with on Top of a Shelf
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a TV Screen with Minimal Background
- Showroom PSD Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Bottle
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Plastic Bottle
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates