A/B testing is the foundation of successful digital campaigns and in all honesty, it’s not as difficult as it sounds. Setting up A/B tests could save you a lot of time and money because sometimes all it takes is a few small tweaks to double sales and increase ROI.
Even if you think you’ve gotten your campaigns down to as good as they can get, Facebook updates their platform often, so it might be worth running a test just in case anyway. Whether you’re just getting started or are a seasoned ad guru, let’s take a closer look at A/B testing on Facebook.
What is A/B testing?
Simply put, it’s comparing two things to see which one performs better.
You can compare anything and everything: visuals, text, emails, conversion funnels, target segments or products.
Facebook allows you to test your creative, audience and placement. They will automatically split your budget evenly and randomly divide exposure so there will be no overlapping audiences.
There are two ways to do this: through Ads Manager or Experiments.
With Mediamodifier templates, you can easily edit the text, colors and backgrounds of the visuals that you want to compare results for.
You can also create mock Facebook posts to see what they’re going to look like together with captions before going live with them. This is especially great for marketing teams or agencies to help decide which visuals or copy to go with.
What to look for?
When conducting your A/B test, Facebook will suggest using Cost per Result, CPC (Cost per Click), Cost per 1,000 People Reached or Cost per Purchase.
In most cases, those will be the things to look for, but you can go so much deeper than that!
You can measure custom conversions on cost per 3-second video view, cost per messaging conversion and so much more. If you have Facebook Pixel installed, you can measure custom conversions as well, for example, how many people visited a certain page on your website.
Option 1: A/B testing through Ads Manager
With a recent update, you need to first set up a control and you can add variants after publishing.
Creating the test
Set up your campaign or ad set as you normally do.
Then, select the campaign, ad set or ad you want to test and click on the measuring glass in your toolbar to set up your test.
Choose your variable
You can now either create a variant or compare existing campaigns. Let’s compare audiences to see who reacts better to a “Recap of 2020” post.
Set a budget, time schedule & key metrics
The budget is up to you and will be split evenly between both options. The more you spend, the more accurate the results, but realistically the difference is only a couple of percent.
Use the amount that you would normally use for a campaign. If you’re not sure, just go with the default suggestion you’re shown.
The length of the campaign can be 1-30 days. Facebook suggests a length of 4 days for the best results, but if you’re running a test for conversions that generally take longer i.e. brand awareness campaigns, you can run it for 10.
Then, choose what you want to measure. You can add up to 10 conversions.
From the drop-down menu, you’ll see the most popular measures, custom conversions and other standard events. Think about your campaign objective and choose the one best suited for you.
Review details and start
Before publishing, review the details to avoid any errors and start the test!
You can track results in Experiments and Facebook will send an email with the results when it’s finished.
Option 2: A/B testing through Experiments
You’ll have the exact same opportunities as creating the test through Ads Manager with the difference of everything being on the same page, including the results.
Once you get the results, you’ll be presented with the winner based on your selected metric with a breakdown based on gender and age as well.
Here is an example based on a low-budget event engagement A/B test where we tested whether people are more likely to engage with a Facebook Event ad (A) or a Post ad with a separate link (B).
Congratulations! You’ve successfully completed your first A/B test on Facebook! You can either run the winning ad straight from the results page on Experiments or continue testing other variables.
Have fun with it and before long, your ads’ cost per result will be lower than you could have ever imagined.
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom TV Screen Photoshop Mockup with on Top of a Shelf
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a TV Screen with Minimal Background
- Showroom PSD Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Bottle
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Plastic Bottle
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates