Print-on-demand (POD) is a popular order fulfilment method where the design is printed on merchandise once an order has been made. It’s a win-win situation for both entrepreneurs and customers. The customers get exactly what they want and business owners don’t have to keep large stocks of every design, some of which will never be sold. Let’s take a look at how to get started with your print-on-demand business.
Is print-on-demand for me?
The short answer is most likely, yes. The long answer is that POD has been growing in popularity and according to Forbes’ predictions, online shopping and a thirst for personalization won’t be going anywhere in the near future. People have become used to making their purchased virtually, and e-commerce has paved the way for POD. Online, consumers have access to almost everything in the planet, so they expect a huge assortment of products.
POD allows you to either:
- Offer dozens of designs and print them once an order is made. No huge inventory!
- Allow customers to design their own product which you can then print and ship
How does POD work?
Nowadays, you have so many service providers through whom you can set up your print-on-demand business within minutes. All you have to do is create a design, upload it to your chosen platform and set up marketing. They’ll print every order and ship it out.
Of course, you have the classic t-shirt stores where you can bring a USB with your design on it and they will print it for you, but doing it online is so much less time-consuming.
Some recommended print-on-demand business platforms are: Printify, Printful, Spod and Teelaunch, but as mentioned, there are very many out there. It’s best to do some research yourself to see who offers the best rates, fastest production, best shipping times, suitable product range etc.
1. Getting started
Before even choosing a company, you need to figure out what you want to sell. Is it face masks, t-shirts, phone cases, hoodies, mugs or something else? Are you focusing on a niche or targeting a wide audience? Both have its pros and cons.
You can validate your idea using Google Trends and social media. Look at what people are searching for, both product and theme wise. If no one is searching for your idea, your product might be too niche.
Here’s a practical example for a “custom face mask” search. A lot of print-on-demand businesses offer face masks. And yes, they were unimaginably popular in March-July 2020, but have since died down to almost pre-pandemic levels.
On the other hand, the popularity of graphic t-shirts seems to be rising over the past couple of months. Is this trend coming back?
2. Design your products
Then comes the best (and most crucial) part – design!
Some will have sample illustrations, text boxes or graphic elements that you can use, but let’s be honest – your customers want to see something more unique.
You can use Photoshop, Illustrator, Affinity Designer or other similar software for creating you design. This is great for professional designers, but creating something unique doesn’t have to be that difficult or expensive.
Online drag & drop design tools are so much easier to use and affordable for small business owners. There are also plenty of templates available for when you want to create a limited edition design for a holiday like mother’s day. Check out some t-shirt design inspiration here.
If you’re not sure how something would look, you can always test it on a mockup of your future product. This will help you figure out the placement of your design and help visualise potential mistakes.
For example, I want to create a t-shirt with the above design. Using mockups, I can easily identify what color t-shirt works with the design. I can safely eliminate colours like beige and grass green because you can’t read the text.
Most services allow you to upload .jpg or .png files. Make sure you save your design with the highest quality and size possible. Low resolution design = low resolution print = unhappy customers.
Generally, illustrations look sharper than photos when printed, but both are perfectly acceptable. If you are doing an illustration, use a transparent background. Otherwise the background of your design and the color of the fabric might not match.
Have a read through the technical requirements or your chosen service as well. Do they operate in RGB or CMYK? Do they have a maximum size? You’ll find answers to all your questions in their FAQ pages.
3. Set up your store & choose products
Once you feel like you have enough designs and have a vision for your business, it’s time to set up your products. You can do this straight at the print-on-demand platform you’ve chosen, but there’s a lot to think about before making a decision.
What material do you want?What colour should the fabric be? Where do you want the design placed? Do you want socks that are all one color or should the heel and toes be different? When you’ve decided, just upload your file and preview before saving.
Then, you’ll need to name each product, write descriptions and choose the mockup preview you want people to see.
It’s recommended you test order one or two of each item in your store to make sure everything looks and feels good. Your design might bleed on particular materials or not work on certain colours.
For example, you might have ordered this..
But it ends up looking like this..
Better safe than sorry!
4. Set up your sales channels
Your products, designs and catalog are ready to go! All you need is a sales channel.
Each printing service has supported sales channels that you can use to actually well, sell your products. Some of the most common ones are Shopify, Etsy, Wix, eBay and WooCommerce, but check with your POD provider before setting up.
Then, follow the instructions depending on your chosen integration. In Shopify, you’ll be able to connect the catalog and quickly design your online stop. For WooCommerce, you’ll have to already have a self-hosted WordPress site. You’ll find instructions for each when you sign up.
5. Start marketing your print-on-demand business
Unfortunately, products don’t sell themselves. As much as I wish they would. You’ll have to create a marketing strategy based on your target audience and advertise your products. Create Facebook & Instagram pages, host an opening sale and tell everyone you know to share the news.
Getting the first customers and building is usually the hardest part. It’ll get easier when you’ve built a small customer base who love your products and write reviews.
6. Sit back and relax
Okay, maybe don’t relax completely. You’ll continuously have to work on creating new designs and getting more customers through your marketing channels. But at least you don’t have to worry about shipping and inventory! That’s the beauty of on-demand printing.
Share your print-on-demand business’ link in the comments. We’d love to take a look and support talented small businesses!
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom TV Screen Photoshop Mockup with on Top of a Shelf
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a TV Screen with Minimal Background
- Showroom PSD Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Bottle
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Plastic Bottle
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates