With over 1.66 billion active daily users and growing, Facebook is continually searching for new and exciting ways to keep our NewsFeed’s fresh and appealing.
Simultaneously, with 7 million+ active advertisers on its platform, Facebook must persist with developing new tools and features to promote brands.
Enter Facebook’s 3D photo feature.
- What are Facebook 3D Photos?
- Why the need for 3D?
- How brands are using them
- How to create Facebook 3D photos on Desktop, iPhone & Android
- Should brands be using Facebook 3D photos?
Advertisers wish to remain noticeable in an increasingly saturated and crowded NewsFeed. Facebook must take notice – in 2018 alone, advertising represented $55 billion of Facebook’s revenue, in contrast to $825 million in other revenue streams.
In May 2018, Facebook began rolling out its latest feature, 3D Photos. This new, creative concept is described by Facebook as “a new way to share your memories and moments in time with a fun, life-like dimension.”
Facebook 3D photos can only be used for organic posting alone. It cannot, at present, be used for Facebook advertising (‘boosting the post.’) Considering the social network’s reliance on advertising, why launch a product that cant be monetized at present?
How does this impact brands?
Is it worth creating them for organic posts only, or are Facebook 3D photos a hindrance for brands?
What are Facebook 3D Photos?
3D Photos are portrait digital renderings taken on dual-camera smartphones, designed to give the user a life-like view (not 360-degrees) into the image as they scroll through their newsfeeds.
The photo rendering process is pretty impressive – but quite complicated.
It involves an algorithm that analyzes depth maps and the tiny movements of the camera captured by the phone’s motion detection system. The depth maps are then massaged or ‘stitched’ together, much like how panorama photography works, and ultimately turn these 3D meshes to produce the final 3D photo.
Why the need for 3D?
Facebook’s NewsFeed, like nearly all other social platforms, is highly saturated with content from friends, family, and the brands’ users follow.
If you scroll through your NewsFeed right this moment, you will likely observe at least a few of the following types of posts:
- opinions/political content
- recipes videos
- photos from a family/friend’s vacation
- blog articles
As private users, we rely on Facebook to connect with family, friends, businesses, and communities, plus to discover new information.
For brands, they use Facebook to engage with customers, and potential leads using various ad formats and post options.
Facebook’s new 3D photos is another added format for engaging, whether as a private user or brand.
Whether it’s an animal photo, a fantastic shot of a vacation sunset, or even only your family and friends, users can now take a picture in Portrait mode using a compatible dual-lens smartphone and share it on Facebook as a 3D image.
Once it is on Facebook, both private users and page followers can scroll, tilt, and pan their phones to see the image as a realistic 3D image. Similar to if you are looking through a window.
3D photos, then, will stand out in the NewsFeed, causing users to stop for a second and take a more in-depth look – precisely what brands wish for.
How brands are using 3D Photos
As discussed above, Facebook is always searching for innovative ways to improve their product and boost the overall user experience. While 3D Photos may seem like another posting format to some, it’s a creative and innovative way to get a brand to stand out and encourage users to connect.
With features including lighting, texture, and rendering, ranging from rustic to soft tones and shiny ones, Facebook 3D posts is an opportunity for a brand or influencer to gain even more attention on the biggest social network.
Two years prior to the launch of Facebook 3D photos, research from the Content Marketing Institute revealed that a 2016 study by the Content Marketing Institute, 81% of respondents interviewed reported that interactive content draws their attention more effectively than ‘static’ content.
As we already know, Facebook’s algorithm prioritizes content that encourages active and significant interaction amongst its users, rather than ignoring when scrolling.
3D posts are significantly more interactive than other types of content seen on Facebook because users can play around with and engage with the post in their feeds – interacting longer with this content.
Some brands and influencers are even allowing users to add 3D images into their posts. Creating opportunities for users to generate their content is always a sound solution, and one of the most straightforward ways to get users to engage with a page or brand.
And that’s the end goal of Facebook brand marketing, to boost engagement. The longer a brand or influencer convinces users to engage with their content, the more likely it is that the message will be engaging, and the user will take action.
How to create Facebook 3D photos on Desktop, iOS & Android
3D photos can be shared to a News Feed, a group, or a page. If you manage a page, those who wish to create 3D photos must have access akin to admin or editor to post to the page.
Creating Facebook 3D photos on a Desktop computer or laptop
To post a 3D picture, save two different files on your desktop:
- The image you wish to use: Save it in either a .png or .jpg format.
- A depth map for the picture: Make sure the map has “_depth” appended within the file name (for example: myImage_depth.jpg) and has precisely the same aspect ratio as the picture you are using.
To create your 3D photo:
- Click ‘Photo/Video’ at the top of the News Feed, a page, or a group.
- Select the two files (the picture and the depth map), then drag and drop the files onto the post. When the file is added to the post, the 3D image will be created.
- Click ‘Post.’
Creating Facebook 3D photos on iPhone
N.B: Portrait mode required
- Tap ‘What’s on your mind?’ at the top of the News Feed. Tap ‘Write something…’ in Create a post on a Page or in a group.
- Tap ‘Photo/Video.’
- Select the Portrait Mode photo and tap ‘Done.’ You will observe a ‘3D’ in the bottom right of available images.
- Tap ‘Make 3D’ at the top left of the photo.
- Tap ‘Share’ or ‘Post.’
Creating Facebook 3D photos on Android
N.B: Portrait Mode, Lens Blur or Live Focus Mode required
- Tap ‘What’s on your mind?’ at the top of your News Feed. Tap ‘Write something…’ on a Page or in a group.
- Scroll down and tap ‘3D Photo.’
- Select either one of the following: Live Focus Mode, Lens Blur, or Portrait Mode photo you would like to use.
- Tap ‘Share’ or ‘Post.’
It should be noted that Facebook 3D photos cannot be edited, can only have one uploaded, and cannot be added to photo albums.
Help or hindrance then?
With no immediate prospect to boost 3D posts for advertising, and the time it takes to create that post, with limitations on editing and sharing – are Facebook 3D photos a help to brands or a hindrance?
With advertisers unable to compete with this type of engaging content, it does represent a hindrance for them looking to stand out on Facebook.
However, it’s conceivable that Facebook is looking ahead to a time where all experiences on its platform are more immersive, more ‘real.’ Users will then share these moments with their family and friends, all from the palms of their hands.
For advertisers and brands, now is the time to experiment. Once Facebook permits 3D photos on brand pages, advertisers can make their food even more appetizing, travel destinations more exotic, entice more online shopping with more immersive views.
Yet another new way for the public to consume advertisers’ messages and buy through Facebook.
If you are a brand, influencer or media company, Mediamodifier has 12 Facebook 3D templates that can be used to create such 3D posts in no time at all.
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom iPhone Mockup Held in a Hand in Open Area
- Showroom iPhone 14 with AirPods Hovering around Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom iPhone 14 Pro PSD Mockup with Simple Background
- Showroom iPhone 14 App Screen Mockup with a Wall Background
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of iPhone 14 Pro with Floating Airpods
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup