With more than 1 billion monthly active users and at least 200 million users visiting at least one business account daily, it is safe to argue that Instagram is a huge marketing tool for businesses.
But what about Instagram IGTV?
Is it the latest tool in Instagram’s armory of marketing tools or will it die out like so many others?
- What is Instagram’s IGTV?
- What went wrong with IGTV?
- How IGTV is useful for advertisers, influencers and brands
- Is Instagram IGTV really here to stay?
- Using IGTV in 2020
Millions of businesses, both corporate and small, combined with thousands of influencers, have a business account profile and utilize Instagram videos as a revenue generation tool.
As the next step in Instagram’s evolution, IGTV made strategic sense. Instagram’s 1 billion users already watched 60% more video on the platform than they did before launching the feature.
“With your help, IGTV begins a new chapter of video on Instagram. We hope it brings you closer to the people and things you love.” –Kevin Systrom, Instagram Co-Founder
Heavily invested by Instagram then, as a rival to YouTube and Snapchat, the much-lauded IGTV launch has well, failed to take off.
Why did this happen? Is Instagram IGTV a fad then?
Or will 2020 be the year it will breakthrough?
What is Instagram IGTV?
The Facebook-owned largest photo-sharing app in the world launched IGTV in June 2018 as an offering to its 1 billion users.
Users may remember the orange-colored icon in the top right-hand corner of the mobile interface. (Due to user feedback, the icon is now removed as it irritated users).
IGTV was different in a few ways from the current video offering on the platform.
First, it was designed for how users use their phones, videos are full screen and vertical, with video lengths up to one hour as opposed to the regular Instagram Stories that were one minute long. (Although again, due to user feedback since launch, the vertical stories can now be shown horizontally).
IGTV begins playing as soon as a user opens the app; they don’t have to search to start watching content from whom they are following or interests of theirs. Users can swipe up to discover more — switch between “For You,” “Popular,” “Following,” and “Continue Watching.” Users can then comment, like, and send videos to friends in Direct Messages.
Furthermore, users didn’t need to create a separate channel from their account on IGTV. If they are already an Instagram user, they can upload IGTV videos. User handles are the channel.
But what went wrong?
What went wrong with IGTV?
Instagram launched IGTV with much fanfare, yet soon found itself struggling against existing platforms in the market, namely:
IGTV suffered from several problems when it first launched.
Instagram was created with scrolling in mind; users scroll through their feeds, liking, and commenting as they go. Throw in the occasional story lasting no more than 1 minute, and users were satisfied with the user experience.
Instagram was now asking users to no longer scroll, but to watch videos for up to an hour. With people used to scrolling and liking in seconds, this seemed too much for users to evolve their habits.
Instagram Stories, Highlights & Posts
Instagram provides a plethora of suitable outlets for content promotion. Instagram Stories made it easy for brands to grab users’ attention and sell their products to them quickly.
Influencers could add Stories to their Highlights ‘highlighting’ their best posts and videos.
Even the posts themselves were substantial enough for influencers and brands to sell their products. Together they formed a perfect symbiosis – brands give products to influencers, who picture themselves using/wearing them.
There was no need to add anything new.
Creating custom content for yet another platform
For larger brands, IGTV’s business model didn’t make it worth their time to create custom content for yet another video platform.
Being a new platform, users had to first engage with the content, and when they didn’t like the initial UX, brands found it hard to justify the expense in creating content tailored for IGTV.
For brands, it was worth continuing with their efforts on YouTube, Snapchat, and TikTok – which were well established, and users knew it was all about video, while Instagram was about pictures. Simply put, for businesses, there was no payoff, and many began cross-posting videos from other video streaming sites instead.
Followers like these platforms already and continued to consume content there.
So is Instagram IGTV just a fad? Well, not quite.
How IGTV is useful for advertisers, influencers and brands
94% of people view video on a mobile vertically, meaning that although IGTV had a slow adoption rate per se, it perfectly summed up user viewing behavior on mobile devices.
Plus, IGTV was the first feature to be fully monetized by Instagram, meaning that both brands and influencers can profit directly from this platform.
After the typical frenzy of brands wanting to innovatively be the first businesses on the scene to utilize the channel, yet soon tired of attempting to make it work, one such group saw an upturn in their views – influencers.
Both influencers and editorials became the groups that owned IGTV when significant brand activity seemed to drop off.
In the absence of brands, influencers and editorials saw their social strategies improve, capitalizing on the space available and created richer content for their online personas, particularly those who do not have a presence on other sites like YouTube or Snapchat.
These influencers and editorials wanted to sley focus their efforts on utilizing Instagram as their primary platform for both content and business strategies, probably because they do not have the resources to offer cross-platform marketing.
It was these content creators who observed significantly higher engagement rates, compared to the rest of the content they are producing.
It is unclear why this is, probably because the channel is less saturated and easier to be noticed.
Another boost for IGTV was that Instagram integrated the feature into its scrolling news feed, meaning users could view one minute of content via its feeds and then continue watching via IGTV if they wished.
IGTV users would use the ‘hook’ method and give viewers a snapshot of what was upcoming in the video if they chose to click on the IGTV app and be taken there. This strategy was less invasive and made users more curious – causing viewing rates to upturn.
For editorials, this meant that IGTV could be used as a podcast style channel – to announce when they would speak and what above, a channel that carries far more authenticity and exciting points of discussion just the same as a podcast.
Is Instagram IGTV here to stay?
IGTV is evidently working for editorials, podcast wannabes, and influencers, so how can brands adapt their success and get a head start on their competitors?
So yes, it is not going anywhere.
Like any social strategy, the most significant and most crucial step is to start – consistency is key to building any of social media followers.
Video content continues to dominate in social media marketing due to its appealing format, the capacity to instill emotion, and the ability to display more products.
81% of businesses now use a form of video content as a marketing tool, up 55% from last year.
Brands should be building a video strategy to implement it into their social persona effectively. If you are already using Instagram to advertise, it’s a wasted opportunity not to integrate video format content into that pre-existing Instagram marketing strategy.
For brands, it is imperative to think about the purpose of the content will serve on IGTV. Always taking note that they will be producing bespoke, vertical-shot content tailored to one particular platform that their followers can’t access anywhere else.
Instead of fighting the format, brands should embrace the pioneering attitude as the influencers did. And it is influencers that will be key for brands on IGTV.
As they did when they for mastering selling products in posts, that caught the attraction of brands, influencers are now doing the same for Instagram IGTV.
Influencers are already mastering the new feature by producing content that works for their channels and followers, so brands should utilize this to its fullest extent by collaborating with influencers on this new channel feature and intertwine IGTV video content into your strategy.
Just like what is happening in the podcast world, brands should start monetizing IGTV through sponsorships and partnerships.
Using Instagram IGTV in 2020
IGTV previews on the regular Instagram feed has seen an increase in between 300%-1,000% more views.
Brands then should not only collaborate with influencers but cross-promoting their IGTV videos on their feeds, so that they are now more accessible.
As mentioned at the beginning, there are now landscape videos, so brands can really show off products that can be difficult to display in portrait camera mode.
To begin succeeding with Instagram IGTV videos, start by:
Posting a 1-minute preview of your video to your regular grid feed to increase your views. If your content is engaging enough, users can tap “Keep Watching” to see the full video.
Mediamodifier also has an Instagram Story Ad Mockup Generator Template you can use to get people to your Instagram IGTV channel!
- Mockups & Templates Just Arrived: 28 Awesome Glass Mug Mockup Templates
- Mockups & Templates Fantastic Brand New T-Shirt Mockups with Models
- Post Ideas 10 Inspiring Instagram Video Post Ideas for All Businesses
- Marketing Tips How To Skyrocket Business Acquisitions with Digital Signage
- Design Tips How To Create The Best Landing Pages For High Conversions
- Design Tips A Proven Guide to App Technical Optimization for More Revenue
- Marketing Tips How to Make Sure Your Marketing Showcases Authentic Use Cases
- Mockups & Templates 16 Stunning Fresh T-Shirt Mockups With Male Models
- Marketing Tips How to Use Product Mockups in Your Marketing Strategy
- Mockups & Templates Real Estate Mockups & Templates: The Best in the Business
- Mockups & Templates 27 Brand New Button Mockups For Quick Previews
- Design Tips The Fundamentals of Incorporating Closed Captions in UX Design
- Marketing Tips 5 Proven Ways Online Mockups Help Emails Stand Out
- Design Tips The Best Guide To Successful Parental Control Design
- Marketing Tips 4 Helpful And Creative Offline Advertisingn Techniques That Stand Out
- Marketing Tips The Best 26 Video Editing Software for Marketers to Use in 2023
- Mockups & Templates Brand New Gift Tag Mockups For Innovative And Realistic Previews
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 7 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Modern Logo on Floating Golf T-Shirt Mockup
- Showroom Logo on Professional Polo T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Simple Logo on Isolated Golf T-Shirt Mockup
- Showroom Illustrated Design on Minimalist Golf T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Simple Logo on Classic Golf T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Diamond Logo Design on Display of a Golf T-Shirt Mockup