Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
If you’re looking for a way to make some extra cash, print-on-demand (POD) may be the perfect solution for you. Getting started is not as difficult as you think, and there are several different ways to start making money. In this article, we will outline the road to success to launch your own print-on-demand business. We will take you through every step from pricing to design and provide tips for marketing your new venture. Let’s get started!
First of all – what is print on demand and how does it work?
Print-on-demand is an order fulfillment method that allows you to sell branded merchandise without having any products in stock. You can create and sell anything from t-shirts and mugs to phone cases and notebooks. The best part is that you don’t have to worry about shipping, and you only need to order stock when a purchase is made, which makes it an excellent option for small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs.
1. Decide what you want to sell
The first step is to decide what you want to sell. Are you a writer, artist, or musician? Maybe you’re a fan of cool hats or already know that there is a niche waiting to be filled with your product? The possibilities are endless, and the only limit is your imagination. Choosing the right products can cause information overload. We suggest looking at Google Trends or any other similar platforms to try and understand which products are currently popular with your potential customers. You’ll want to stay in the loop with any current trends and be the first to get your products out there. Reddit, TikTok, and other social media platforms are a great way to keep up to date with what’s trending.
2. Choose your platform
There are several different print-on-demand services available, and they all work similarly: you create an account, select the products you want to sell, and set up your branding. The most popular sites are Printful, Teespring, Spreadshirt, Redbubble, and of course, setting up your own Shopify store. Once you’re ready to go, simply upload your designs and start making sales. If you want to take your business to the next level, the Mediamodifier Web to Print plugin can turn your own website into a fully automated store where customers can design, use mockups, and order prints.
3. Design your products
Before you can start selling, you need to create some amazing designs. This is where your imagination comes in – it’s time to get creative and think outside the box. You’ll want to make sure that all of your products are visually appealing and consistent with your brand. If you’re unsure how to get started, we recommend playing around with some ideas and checking out what they would look like on custom products. Don’t just try to copy what other successful stores are selling, and try to enhance their ideas by adding your creative twist. There are no rules, besides making sure to stay within the copyright laws.
Once you have your design ready, mockups are a perfect way to bring your ideas to life without having to actually print them. This is a great solution as it saves you time, money, and it is more friendly to the environment since no unfortunate samples need to be thrown away. In addition, you can see your creation in real-time, and decide what needs to be amended before settling on one design.
4. Choose your pricing strategy
Price is an essential factor when it comes to print-on-demand products. You want to find a fair price point for you and your customers while also ensuring that you’re making a profit. It’s a good idea to research and see what other shops in your category or niche are charging. Don’t forget to consider the cost of producing the products and any monthly recurring expenses like web hosting, bookkeeping, and marketing. After all, you’re probably not doing this for fun, and every business has to be profitable.
5. Set up your print on demand shop
Now it’s time to set up your shop! You’ll want to add professional images of your products, as well as descriptions, pricing, and any other important information. The more effort you put into your product descriptions, the bigger the chance they will appear on search engines and build trust with customers. It’s a good idea to do keyword research and use an SEO plugin on your shop’s website. You’ll also want to create a catchy tagline or slogan that will help you stand out from the competition. Don’t forget to add your social media links so customers can follow you and stay up-to-date on your latest products, and you can cut down on marketing costs.
For example, check out this shop called Passionfruit, which has a modest but compelling narrative to promote pride every day of the year through clothing and accessories. They also give back to the community that inspires them to create designs.
6. Start marketing
Good marketing is key when it comes to print-on-demand, especially in the beginning. As mentioned before, you should have a website and a memorable brand to sell your products. We don’t mean you have to invest millions into branding, but creating a logo is a must. You’ll also want to start building a social media following, as this allows you to interact with your customers directly. You can also offer discounts and free shipping codes on your social media platforms to help increase sales. Another cost-effective way to find potential shoppers is through Google and Facebook/Instagram ads or reselling your products on Etsy and other similar websites. Blogging is also a great free option that might send potential customers to your site when your articles show up on search platforms.
You’re all set!
That wasn’t so hard, right? Now that you’ve set up your print-on-demand shop, it’s time to start making sales. Just remember to stay on top of your marketing and branding, and be sure to update your products regularly. With a relatively small effort, you’ll be able to watch the money pour in.
Check out this blog post if you’re looking for more tips on the most profitable product ideas. Have any advice to give or thoughts to share? Let us know in the comments!
- Marketing Tips 5 Proven Ways Online Mockups Help Emails Stand Out
- Design Tips The Best Guide To Successful Parental Control Design
- Marketing Tips 4 Helpful And Creative Offline Advertising Techniques That Stand Out
- Marketing Tips The Best 25 Video Editing Software for Marketers to Use in 2023
- Mockups & Templates Brand New Gift Tag Mockups For Innovative And Realistic Previews
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Design Preview on Two Posters Mockup in Underground Metro Station
- Showroom Poster Design Preview on a Underground Metro Station Poster Mockup
- Showroom Logo or Design Preview on a Hanging Kitchen Towel
- Showroom Logo Design Preview in a Delivery Box in Front Of a House Doorstep
- Showroom Mockup Preview of Delivery Box on House Doorstep