With more people spending time at home, online shopping has seen new record highs. If in the past, online shopping was reserved for certain areas of business, the past year has forced companies of all kinds to adapt to the online world.
No matter what niche you are in, this is the best time to make the shift to online sales yourself. Monetize your skills or sell products that you make – chances are, there is always a market for it. But how to start?
From Passion to Profit
One of the easiest ways to make money from your passion and your expertise is to sell services online. This can mean anything from writing and designing to teaching a language.
However, if your product is physical, such as art, baked goods, or jewelry, you can also use the internet as a way to reach your audience.
It is as simple as setting up a two-page website and some social media accounts. Alternatively, there are always other websites where you can start, such as Upwork for selling services and Etsy for selling products.
This is also the route Zoe Firth, a 21-year-old from Cambridge, England, took when she decided to share her passion with the world.
She has been creating art for as long as she can remember, which led to her studying art as a specialist subject in school, sixth form, and college. Currently, she is a Digital Media student, but her love for art is only growing stronger.
So far, she has been successful, with nearly 100 sales documented on her shop, in addition to the tens of commissions she has had through her Instagram. She continues to work on new art and therefore new product releases constantly, hoping to one day earn a living from selling her work around the world.
Her advice for people aspiring to take a similar leap would be to “make sure you truly love the area of industry you’re in and believe in your work”.
Is Passion All It Takes?
Unfortunately, no. Many really good products go unnoticed because the business fails to realize the importance of marketing and branding.
This is how new businesses come to a similar realization: traffic is the hardest piece of any monetization process. No matter how innovative, high quality and overall amazing your product is, if people cannot even find it, it is hard to convert them to clients.
But there are things you can do without a marketing department. You can start small by promoting your business on your personal accounts and kindly ask friends, family, coworkers, and any other acquaintances to support your business by being a client themselves or simply spreading the word.
Having your friends as your only audience is not enough – if you want your passion project to reach new eyes, you need to put in some effort at first to make sure you can promote it to the best of your abilities.
It is essential to create a business plan. The sad reality is that in a small home business, you may have to fill all the roles of each department – manufacturing, sales, marketing, customer support, and dispatching being only some of them.
However scary that sounds, it is also good to remember the workflow will never be as high as in a big company, so until the business grows bigger, it is not unusual to be completely capable of managing everything.
Set out some goals, and try to work through every step of the process – from the moment you are creating the service or product to the moment it gets to your client.
This process has different difficulty levels. For example, if you are a freelance designer, you generally only need to communicate with the client, understand their requests, and deliver the service.
If you create jewelry, you might need to buy the materials, come up with a concept, take the time to create it, take photographs, promote it, find a client, pack the order, ship it, and follow up with the customer to make sure they are satisfied. Every step of this way can be very important, as even the packaging can reflect the quality of your business.
Create a Branding Guide
In order to make a business more appealing and popular, it is important to think of a branding guide and adhere to it.
The branding guide, also known as brand guidelines or brand style guide, is essentially an instruction manual on how to communicate your brand. Whilst the most important aspect of it is the visuals details, they also lay out all the important things to consider about the brand’s voice, tone, and message.
When starting a new business, visuals can help to create an impact. As discussed in this article, your visual communication and branding need to be as strong as possible in order to enhance your client conversion.
If you do not know much about marketing, that does not mean you cannot promote yourself without hiring a specialist. At the end of the day, you know your product better than anyone else. So try to come up with a list of rules that apply to the way you communicate your message, both visually and otherwise.
You may start by settling on a logo, choosing some color codes to use in all of your posts and main visuals, and some fonts for constant use.
There are many other steps in creating a style guideline, and this article from 99designs can be very helpful in understanding the basics of branding.
In addition, you can create a beautiful logo and design all of your social media posts using Mediamodifier, an easy and intuitive drag-and-drop tool to create inspirational marketing visuals for social media, blogs, ads, and more.
When creating these visuals, be mindful of the previously mentioned goals you have for this company and the mission and vision you have planned for it.
Once you managed to create a place that truly embodies the soul of your business, you can start promoting it. If you chose to create your own website it might be harder to get sales than if you were featured on a website that can promote you (such as the aforementioned Upwork and Etsy). However, your own website means having more creative freedom with how you list your items and cutting down on some fees which would otherwise go to the platforms featuring you.
It is possible that after reading this article you feel even more overwhelmed than before. The truth is, not understanding the work you need to put in might lead to a slow and steady lack of success. Taking the time to prepare and work on doing things right might just be the way for you to join the many people who have successfully turned their passion into profitable businesses, from the comfort of their home.
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom TV Screen Photoshop Mockup with on Top of a Shelf
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a TV Screen with Minimal Background
- Showroom PSD Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Bottle
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of a Glossy Plastic Bottle
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates