TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
TikTok is changing the music industry in several ways, including how artists write songs, how agents find new talent, and how major labels market their songs – and it is the place to be if you are an aspiring artist of any kind.
The platform has had a significant impact on the music industry in a very short amount of time. As a result, musicians are starting to take notice of the app’s potential to reach new audiences. While there are some concerns about how the platform could be used to exploit artists, most people agree that it provides opportunities for musicians to reach more fans.
This blog post will look closely at how TikTok has shaped the music industry and what that means.
What does TikTok have to do with the music industry?
According to Apptopia, TikTok was the most downloaded social media app in the first half of 2022, with 37 million downloads. Therefore, there is a valid reason for the industry’s focus on TikTok.
Often, TikTok-trending songs make their way onto Billboard’s 100 and Spotify’s Viral 50 charts. In addition, an MRC Data study found that 67% of TikTok users will listen to songs on music streaming services (i.e. Spotify) after hearing them on TikTok.
The app is predicted to reach a whopping 1.8 billion daily active users by the end of 2022. Since the app gained popularity by starting viral dance trends, musicians and record labels are increasingly using TikTok to reach new audiences. As a result, it has become a significant source of revenue for the music industry.
TikTok has changed many artists’ lives
TikTok has completely changed the way that music is discovered and promoted. In the past, if an artist wanted to get their music out there, they would have to rely on radio play or hope that someone would stumble upon their SoundCloud page. However, thanks to TikTok’s incredibly sticky nature, people often now refer to songs they hear on the radio as “that TikTok song”. Let’s take a closer look at a classic example with Lil Nas X.
It’s not just about getting your song on TikTok; it’s about creating a viral TikTok challenge that gets people talking. That’s how Lil Nas X took his song Old Town Road from complete obscurity to the top of the charts. First, he started sharing his music along with memes; then, he created a TikTok challenge that caught on like wildfire (#yeehawchallenge).
As the icing on the cake, he teamed up with TikTok influencers to further promote the song. As a result, “Old Town Road” became one of the biggest hits of 2019 and got picked up by Billy Ray Cyrus for a feature. And now, Lil Nas X is one of the most influential artists of his generation.
He actually did this again when releasing his song MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name). Paired up with his organically funny and authentically-gen Z content, he teased the song in the back of all of his TikToks for months, fully hyping it up:
A new way to write songs
TokTok has offered singers new ways to create music. Once the industry realized the power of TikTok, everyone tried to use it to their advantage. Some artists integrate TikTok into their creative process even before they release a new track, making it a valuable platform for promoting a new tune.
On the app, you can find songs written with the audience’s help. This is the case for abcdefu by Gayle, which was created based on a suggestion from a fan:
There are also the songs initially uploaded as little snippets or covers, which ended up on streaming platforms upon massive fan requests. An example is Fat Funny Friend by Maddie Zahm, which ended up empowering a whole movement:
Last but not least, there are songs that many people suspect were written with the actual intent of becoming a TikTok trend, such as the band TRAMP STAMPS. While none of the theories can fully be proven, it would not be a big surprise that it has come to this. This video explains it well:
Moreover, songs on TikTok often tend to be edited with different pop culture elements, such as lines from a film and mashed up with another track, sped up, slowed down, or layered. All of these edits help the songs go viral.
In addition to all these situations, some artists hire influencers to help their pieces take off, prompting user-generated content. It has even been reported that some artists have set up private listening sessions with TikTok influencers so that new songs can gain momentum on the platform.
Of course, songs can also organically get viral on the app; this happens all the time to modern tunes and songs from decades ago alike.
The hidden side of TikTok copyrights
It’s no doubt that TikTok can contribute to success, but there is also a growing concern that TikTok could be used to exploit new artists. Musicians and record labels may be keen to use TikTok to promote their music, but they must be aware of the risks involved.
On TikTok, once an audio clip is shared from an account, it’s free to use for all creators. Often, artists do not get compensated even if their song is featured in the most popular videos.
Although TikTok has partnerships with major record labels and pays royalties to the authors of the songs, they do not check most trending sounds for copyrights because of the sheer volume of videos on the platform.
However, considering that most users will then buy the song or listen to it on streaming platforms, it is a worthy investment.
What does this all mean for marketers?
Now that we’ve established how big of a deal TikTok is, it’s crucial to understand how businesses can benefit from it.
According to a survey, 67% of small and medium-sized businesses indicated that they are most optimistic about their growth potential on TikTok.
The key to success on TikTok is creating original and relatable content. In addition, it would contribute to your success to ensure that your videos are short and to the point; after all, people’s attention spans are shorter than ever. Undoubtedly, the cornerstone of an excellent TikTok strategy is using relevant trends and sounds – make sure you’re ethically using them. If you can crack the code on TikTok, you’ll be well on promoting your business like a pro.
PS. Did you know you can advertise on TikTok? Check out our ad mockup generator for more information.
You can’t escape TikTok
There’s no doubt about it: the app is here to stay. TikTok has completely changed the music industry and offers businesses a unique opportunity to promote their brand. So if you’re not already on TikTok, now is the time to join the thousands of other companies and influencers reaping the benefits of its viral nature.
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Happy Fathers Day Mug Design in a Coffee Much On Sand Beach
- Showroom For Rent Sign in yard Sign Mockup Generator in front of House
- Showroom Sign Design in a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom Large Sign Design on a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom House Rent Sign in Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom For Rent Sign Design in Yard Sign Mockup Template
- Showroom Rent Advertisement in Yard Sign Mockup Generator