It’s almost 11 years since the birth of Instagram, yet one of the top questions about it (in our opinion, of course) is: how do you download an image from Instagram?
With almost 1,000 photos uploaded every second, it’s no surprise that many are wondering about this. Hence, we put together this guide to teach you how to download Instagram images – both yours and others – on your Mac, PC, iPhone, and Android phone.
Important: respect copyright and image ownership
Before we go any further, we’d like to bring up an important aspect of images that are not yours: please respect copyright and image ownership.
As some of the tips and tricks shared below will allow you to download images from other users/businesses, please ensure you seek permission and give credit where it is due.
With that, here are the different ways and methods you can download an image from Instagram:
- How to save your own edited Instagram photos
- How to download your Instagram photos to a Mac or PC
- Via desktop
- Via mobile
- How to download an image from Instagram with no-download, quick tools
- Programs to help you download an image from Instagram
- How to download an image from Instagram without tools
- Via desktop
- Via mobile
1. How to save your own edited Instagram photos
Instagram allows you to save and download photos as well as videos that you have filtered and edited on your own. You can do this in 4 simple steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone and tap on your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile
- Tap on the three lines in the top right, then tap on Settings
- Go to Account, and then find the “Original Photos” (iPhone) or “Original Posts” (Android) tab.
- Toggle the button next to “Save Original Photos” (iPhone) or “Save Original Posts” (Android) to turn on this function
When the “Save Original Photos” function is turned on, every photo and video you post on Instagram will subsequently be saved to your phone’s photo library as well. Do take note that there may occasionally be a delay in your photos appearing in your library.
2. Download your Instagram photos to a Mac or PC
While there is no way to download individual images from your Instagram feed, you can download your entire account history which includes all the photos and videos you’ve previously uploaded as both posts and stories.
As a result of controversies about privacy concerns at Facebook, Instagram’s parent company, a way to download your information and data via a link was introduced. Here’s how to do it on both desktop and mobile.
2.1 Via desktop
Log into Instagram on a web browser (you can use any browser of your choice) and go to your profile
Click on your profile picture, go to your Settings, and find the “Privacy and Security” tab.
Scroll down to the section that says “Data Download”. Click on “Request Download”.
You should then get to a page with the heading “Get a Copy of Your Information”, followed by a box that asks for your email address, a choice of HTML or JSON, and a button that says “Next”. Fill in your email address, choose if you want HTML or JSON, then click “Next” and follow the instructions.
Enter your password to confirm your identity and where your data will be sent to.
2.2 Via mobile
Open your Instagram app and click on your profile picture at the bottom right to go to your profile
Tap on the three lines in the top right, then tap on Settings. Go to Security and find the “Download Data” section.
Type in your email address and “Request Download”.
3. How to download an image from Instagram with no-download, quick tools
There are various third-party tools that allow you to download images from Instagram quickly without any software downloads or installation. While these tools are convenient, do keep in mind that some may require access to your account data, while others may rely on advertising.
DownloadGram is a popular quick tool to download individual post images from Instagram as it can be used on all devices – desktop and mobile.
Inflact is another quick tool you can use to download images, videos, stories, profiles, and even IGTV from Instagram. Similarly, it can be used on all devices. Their premium feature enables you to download whole Instagram profiles with all media files.
4. Programs to help you download an image from Instagram
Adding on to third-party tools are programs that can help you download an image from Instagram.
4K Stogram is a desktop software program that helps you download images from Instagram. It’s available for Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. Their free plan allows you to subscribe to one Instagram profile and download 200 photo and video posts daily, with the option to upgrade and download more at a one-time fee.
Save-o-gram is another desktop software program that helps you download images from Instagram. It is only available for Windows.
5. How to download an image from Instagram without tools
If you’d like to download an image from Instagram without the use of any external tools, be it quick tools or a software program, we’ve gathered some ways to help you.
5.1 Via desktop
Indeed, even when you open an Instagram post or profile on your desktop, there is no “Save image as” button when you right-click on the image. To counter this, there are two possible ways for you to download an image from Instagram via your desktop.
The easiest way is to use a screengrab to capture the image.
- On Windows, you can use the snipping tool.
- On Mac, you can press the keys “Shift, Command and 4” to screengrab the image that will then save on your Desktop, or use the Screenshot app.
- On Ubuntu, you can open Screenshot, or use the global keyboard shortcut of “Shift + Prtscrn” to select an area for your screenshot.
Another way you can download an image from Instagram without tools on your desktop is to use Google Chrome and inspect sources.
- Choose the image post you want to download and copy its link
- Open it in a Google Chrome window
- Right-click on the image and choose “Inspect”. This will open up the developer console of Chrome.
- Click on “Sources”.
- You will see a list of different dropdowns. Look for the one that says “scontent-hel3-1.cdninstagram.com” and click on it so it drops down.
- Click on the ‘v’ folder.
- As this varies from post to post, you should be able to find the image by toggling the various tabs within the ‘v’ folder to find the image that corresponds to the one you want to download.
- When the correct image shows up in the preview box, right-click on it to “Open in new tab”.
- You now have the image to right-click and download.
5.2 Via mobile
To download an image from Instagram without tools on your mobile device, the easiest way would be to take a screenshot and crop it.
On iOS, there are three ways to do this depending on which iPhone you have:
- Press the Side Button and the Volume Up at the same time on iPhones with Face ID
- Hold the Side button and the Home button at the same time on iPhones with Touch ID and the Side Button
- Press the Top button and the Home button at the same time on iPhones with Touch ID and the Top Button
On Android, depending on your device, you can either:
- Hold both the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time
- Press and hold the Power button for a few seconds, then tap on Screenshot
Use your downloaded images on Instagram mockups
The next thing you can do as well is to use your downloaded images in Instagram mockups or various other mockups for marketing, business, and more.
Here are some examples of what you could do:
We hope that you’ve managed to download your image from Instagram with the various tips and tricks we’ve shared here!
On a final note, once again, please ensure you seek permission and give credit if you are using someone else’s image.
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mediamodifier Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas for 2022
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2022
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2022
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom iPhone Mockup Held in a Hand in Open Area
- Showroom iPhone 14 with AirPods Hovering around Photoshop PSD Mockup
- Showroom iPhone 14 Pro PSD Mockup with Simple Background
- Showroom iPhone 14 App Screen Mockup with a Wall Background
- Showroom Photoshop Mockup of iPhone 14 Pro with Floating Airpods
- Showroom Mockup of a Square Wood Frame on Wall with Shadows
- Showroom TV Mounted on Wall Photoshop PSD Mockup