Think ‘subtitles’. Where did your mind go right then? You probably had video streaming on Netflix or Hulu pop into your head. Many people want subtitles when they watch a movie. But, that’s not the only case. What about those noisy restaurants where you can’t hear anything or a professional setting where it’s rude to turn on the sound? Incorporating subtitles and closed captions is useful in many ways and one of the key places to do this in UX design.
Why is this important, you wonder?
Today, up to 80% of viewers are more likely to finish a video that has subtitles. Some of them use the subtitles because they can’t use the audio for some reason. But, many of the viewers prefer captions because they like watching with the sound off.
When in a public place, 69% of viewers will turn the sound off when watching a video. Twenty-five percent will turn it off even if they are alone or in a place where listening to the audio isn’t impractical.
This goes to show that subtitles and captions are no longer reserved for watching movies or created to give the disabled access to information. Many people will turn on closed captioning because they feel more comfortable doing so.
Subtitles and closed captions are becoming critical in the digital world, especially now that multimedia content is more popular than ever. Not having subtitles can make you lose a big portion of your customers.
On the other hand, if you use subtitles and captions in your UX design, this can enhance the user experience, bring more people to your content, and even boost the conversion rates for your business.
In this article, you’ll learn how to incorporate subtitles and captions in your UX design, as well as why you should do it.
Subtitles vs. captions: understanding the difference
At first glance, these two terms might appear to mean the same thing. They have the same main goal – to convey the information in a text. However, the two terms aren’t exactly interchangeable.
Captions are usually designed for people with disabilities i.e. deaf people, allowing them access to the information. Closed captions are the text version of the audio elements in a video file. They can include sound effects, as well as dialogue.
Subtitles are part of internationalization instead of accessibility. This means that they are designed to translate the spoken language into written language for people who might not understand the spoken words. These are basically translations of the original content in a different language.
Surely, there are no set boundaries to how these two can be used. One can know the language and hear it perfectly but use the captions because they like it that way.
How to incorporate subtitles and captions into your UX design
It wasn’t that long ago that closed captioning was difficult to come by, and making subtitles took forever and cost a fortune. Today, videos produced without proper captioning or even subtitles are much rarer. This is not a complicated task thanks to subtitling and professional captioning services.
Web design companies or UX designers can easily add this important element to their video content by using Happy Scribe. The service offers transcription and subtitling led by AI and helped by language professionals. It takes speech-to-text technology to a new level and does so within a short timeframe and at an affordable cost.
Why it’s important to have captions and subtitles in UX design
Now that you know how you can create subtitles and captions, it’s time to move on to the reasons why. Before we delve into detail, here are just a few of the many reasons why any good UX design includes a text version of the video content:
- Accessibility for people with disabilities
- Inclusivity and accessibility to all
- More success with your PPC campaign
- Better search engine optimization
1. Accessibility for people with disabilities
Closed captions have served this purpose for a long time – to make content accessible to individuals who have trouble hearing or are deaf. At this very moment, over 1.5 billion people in the world live with hearing loss, a number that’s predicted to grow to 2.5 billion by 2050. That’s a big portion of anyone’s targeted audience.
By offering a text representation of the audio in your videos, you are enabling deaf or hard-of-hearing individuals to access the content and understand it without hindrance. On one hand, this breaks down the barriers for disabled people and gives you a wider reach. On the other, it shows that your design values inclusiveness and accessibility.
Your design should, of course, account for different disabilities, too. To make the captions more accessible to people with sight problems, you’ll need to use readable fonts in the right size, too.
2. Inclusivity and accessibility to all
Subtitles and closed captions aren’t just used by deaf people. These are also used by busy people, those who prefer not listening to the audio or those who cannot listen at a given point.
Today’s world is fast-paced, to say the least. People consume content on the go, and many of them don’t have their headphones on them whenever they want to play a video.
When a person from your targeted audience commutes to work and watches Instagram reels on their way, they might not be able to turn the sound on because it will disturb others. Another person might watch a video in a very noisy place, and they won’t know what is said without captions.
There are, of course, people who don’t speak the language of the people who speak in your video. There are people whose mother tongue is different and their language skills aren’t as developed in the target language as much as is necessary to understand the content. That’s why you need subtitles. Especially in today’s world, you can definitely generate them with several AI tools. And given you train chatbots on your own data, you can generate even more precise captions.
Your targeted audience can be in a place where audio is not permitted. Or, they can be at work where this is considered unprofessional. It is your job as a UX designer to make the content accessible in any of these scenarios.
3. More success with your PPC campaign
When you pay for advertisements, it’s easy to think – the ad provider will do the job for me. Yes, this gets your message to your targeted audience more directly than organic marketing but the truth is, the money you spend doesn’t have the biggest effect on conversions.
If you want your PPC campaign to yield the best possible results, you need to focus on the copy, too. To optimize PPC, marketers must focus on what they include in their ads. If your copy doesn’t match the search intent, you will have made that hefty investment for nothing. Clicks and conversions aren’t the same things, and many people learn this the hard way – after they spend a fortune on it.
To optimize your paid search and make sure that people convert, use subtitles and captions. Use them to show the targeted audience that your ad is exactly what they’ve been looking for. If they don’t speak the language, subtitles will help them understand what you’re offering. With captions, you’ll be helping people who cannot listen to the audio to understand what your ad is all about.
4. Better search engine optimization
Finally, captions and subtitles can boost your SEO. The user experience depends on whether or not users can find your content. By including subtitles and closed captions, UX designers can make sure that their video content is easily scannable and discoverable by search engines. This, in turn, will lead to higher rankings and increased visibility.
When you use closed captions and subtitles, you are providing additional context for search engine crawlers to index. As a result, users can find the information they are looking for more easily.
Useful tips for incorporating closed captions and subtitles in your design
There are many ways in which you can add closed captions and subtitles to your design. For starters, you can add them to the initial design process i.e. insert them in the video during its production stage.
If you have skipped this step and want to improve your design later on, you can add closed captions and subtitles post-production. Automatic captioning tools make this much simpler.
Here are some tips to help you.
Whenever you design closed captions and subtitles, consider the user. Is the text legible? Does it accurately represent the content in the audio? Does it obstruct the visual part of the content?
In addition to this, keep in mind that some people are color-blind, so they might struggle if you choose a messy color scheme. Finally, make sure to provide accurate time coding and to use clear text.
TIP: Use a mockup generator to preview your designs on various devices and resolutions.
Have you been using captions/ subtitles in your UX design?
Closed captions and subtitles now play a vital role in UX design. They offer accessibility to all, enhance their user experience, and improve the SEO all at the same time. As video content grows in popularity, it is the task of designers to prioritize captions and subtitles in their designs. By incorporating these, you can enrich your content and prove yourself to be a designer committed to inclusiveness and diversity.
Nadica Metuleva is a senior freelance writer with 8+ years of experience in producing original, high-quality content for clients. She has a Master’s degree in English Literature and Teaching and speaks 4 languages. Nadica has a passion for storytelling and a deep understanding of SEO principles. You can find her samples and more details about her work on LinkedIn.
- Design Tips UX vs UI: Key Differences Every Designer Should Know About
- Design Tips Design Your Way to the Top: an Entrepreneur’s Guide to Marketing and Design eBook
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Just Arrived: 28 Awesome Glass Mug Mockup Templates
- Mockups & Templates Fantastic Brand New T-Shirt Mockups with Models
- Post Ideas 10 Inspiring Instagram Video Post Ideas for All Businesses
- Marketing Tips How To Skyrocket Business Acquisitions with Digital Signage
- Design Tips How To Create The Best Landing Pages For High Conversions
- Design Tips A Proven Guide to App Technical Optimization for More Revenue
- Marketing Tips How to Make Sure Your Marketing Showcases Authentic Use Cases
- Mockups & Templates 16 Stunning Fresh T-Shirt Mockups With Male Models
- Marketing Tips How to Use Product Mockups in Your Marketing Strategy
- Mockups & Templates Real Estate Mockups & Templates: The Best in the Business
- Mockups & Templates 27 Brand New Button Mockups For Quick Previews
- Marketing Tips 5 Proven Ways Online Mockups Help Emails Stand Out
- Design Tips The Best Guide To Successful Parental Control Design
- Marketing Tips 4 Helpful And Creative Offline Advertisingn Techniques That Stand Out
- Marketing Tips The Best 26 Video Editing Software for Marketers to Use in 2023
- Mockups & Templates Brand New Gift Tag Mockups For Innovative And Realistic Previews
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 7 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Modern Logo on Floating Golf T-Shirt Mockup
- Showroom Logo on Professional Polo T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Simple Logo on Isolated Golf T-Shirt Mockup
- Showroom Illustrated Design on Minimalist Golf T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Simple Logo on Classic Golf T-Shirt Mockup Generator
- Showroom Diamond Logo Design on Display of a Golf T-Shirt Mockup