An 8 Point Content Creation Checklist on How to Create Engaging, Useful Content
In the words of Neil Patel and his team: “content marketing is a proven strategy for generating leads, increasing sales and building engagement with your customers”. Content creation is an important aspect of marketing plans and strategies whether you are a big company, a small business or a freelancer.
Creating and publishing content is an art. It’s more than just having an idea, writing 600 to 800 words or recording a simple video and publishing it. Developing content is a process, which is why we created this 8 point content creation checklist to help you out.
If content marketing isn’t already a part of your marketing plan, then it sure is time to include it – starting by looking at our content creation checklist. If content marketing is already a part of your marketing strategy, we hope our checklist helps you to enhance it!
1. Have you defined your content strategy?
Content creation can work wonders for your business, but it won’t do much if you haven’t defined your content marketing strategy and aligned it with your marketing strategy. It’s important to ask: what do you want to achieve with your content? Is it brand awareness, generating new leads, increasing engagement or something else? You can start by picking just one goal you’d like to achieve with content marketing first, and let that guide how you create your content.
2. What does your target audience want to know?
Dan S. Kennedy said in his book, The Ultimate Marketing Plan, that “you don’t have a business until you understand your customers. Valuable content creation requires that you know your customers’ needs.”
With that, ask yourself, who’s your target audience? Where can you find them? What kind of content would appeal to them? Are they looking for the topics that you are an expert in? Here are some ways to find out and validate what your audience wants to know about:
- Send out a survey to find out more about them
- See what content your competitors are creating and publishing
- Check out forums, groups and question sites, for example, LinkedIn groups and Quora
- Keep tabs by setting up alerts on Google Trends
- Run a search on Answer the Public
3. What type of content would attract your customers the most?
There are many different types of content you can create – from a long-form article and a shorter to-the-point blog post to infographics, videos and even memes. With blog posts and articles, you can also create accompanying content like infographics and videos and subsequently, repurpose it.
Which content format would engage and interest your audience the most? What would attract them and capture their attention? You would also want to consider your brand story along with the tone of voice you want to use in the article.
4. Content creation starts from an idea and research
Content creation starts with an idea, be it from content audits, conversations and meetings with customers or even an idea you had in the shower! It then comes down to making your topic idea sync with your content strategy and making your idea come alive, which is where research comes in.
You may want to conduct some original research for an insightful article, gather secondary research and amp it up with quotes from thought leaders of that topic or even create content based on your customers’ frequently asked questions.
Whichever type of content you create, it should always be valuable to your audience in these five ways:
Shout out to Colleen Jones, founder and principal at Content Science, and Content Marketing Institute for these five benchmarks.
5. Make sure to grab attention with your content
Be it an article/blog post, video or infographic, the first few seconds matter! This means that your headline or opening needs to grab your audience’s attention. Why not begin your content with a teaser, a meaningful story, a surprising statistic or something funny along with an eye-catching visual? The sky is the limit when it comes to creativity on how to leverage your customers’ attention.
6. Your content should have a structure
With creative freedom, comes content responsibility! Okay, we made up this lineup ourselves. What we mean is that your content, as creative as it would be, should have a basic structure such as headlines, bolded words and italics for articles and blog posts and titles and sections for videos. This allows your audience to follow easily and remember your piece of content that you’ve worked so hard on!
7. When should you post your content?
This is often a question that marketers have in their heads – when should you post your content? Especially when it comes to posting on social media, timing can matter. With the deluge of information out there today, you certainly don’t want your content to be lost in the crowd.
Que analytics to the rescue! Google Analytics allows you to see when your customers interact with your website, while social media analytics can help you see when your audience interacts with you socially. There is no one set time that is ideal for posting, as this is subjective to your own customers, so you may want to use analytics to your advantage here.
8. Optimize, promote and distribute your content
The work isn’t over once you’ve created and published your content! Now’s the time to optimize, promote and distribute your masterpiece by shouting out loud about it.
Have a look at your marketing plan and find keywords and phrases that matter to you, then optimize your content for that so it helps towards search engine optimization (SEO). Whether you edit your article/blog post or the description for your video, this will help towards making your content findable.
Share your content on social media, forums, groups, or send out an email campaign directly to your customers. It’s up to you to make sure you get where your audience is.
And that’s all folks, for now. It’s time to let your content do its magic! Do keep us in the loop and let us know what awesome content you’ve created in the comments.
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Mockups & Templates What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Happy Fathers Day Mug Design in a Coffee Much On Sand Beach
- Showroom For Rent Sign in yard Sign Mockup Generator in front of House
- Showroom Sign Design in a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom Large Sign Design on a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom House Rent Sign in Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom For Rent Sign Design in Yard Sign Mockup Template
- Showroom Rent Advertisement in Yard Sign Mockup Generator