What Does Mockup Mean? – A Beginner’s Guide to Mockups
If your first thought when you see the word ‘mockup’ is “what on earth does it mean?”, then you’ve come to the right place. Welcome to our beginner’s guide to mockups!
We designed this guide to describe all the crucial aspects of mockups: from what a mockup is and types of mockups to why mockups are important. The mockup world may seem daunting at first, which is why we’re here to help! By the end of this guide, you should be armed with a deeper understanding of mockups and how they work.
What is a mockup?
Let’s start with the dictionary definition of a mockup. According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a mockup is:
- “A full-sized structural model built to scale chiefly for study, testing, or display.”
- “A working sample (as a magazine) for reviewing format, layout, or content.”
We’re leaning towards a mix of both definition options in our world and this guide.
What does mockup mean? A mockup is a full-scale model of a design, device, or product that shows how it looks.
Used by designers, makers, teachers, engineers, and more, mockups are a valuable asset. They are a means to visualize what a design, device, or product that isn’t ready yet could look like in the real world.
Types of mockups
As mockups can come in various shapes, sizes, and styles, here are the main types of mockups you may come across.
Mockup in design
Many types of mockups are used in design – image mockups, logo mockups, social media design mockups, ad mockups, branding mockups, and more. Indeed, design mockups are aplenty!
Design mockups generally contain relevant elements such as images, illustrations, typography, color schemes, and logos that make up the final design. From the initial research stages, designers use mockups to showcase what their design could look like in relevant scenarios. This enables the right audience (e.g., managers/bosses, clients) to preview the design, evaluate it and give helpful feedback before it’s finalized.
Mockup in web design
In web design, mockups help to showcase what a website and its subpages would look like before they are built and published on the world wide web. A web design mockup is a static layout of a web page that demonstrates its framework and visualizes where various web page elements like navigation and content (i.e., images and text) would go.
It also usually includes branding, colors, and fonts to simulate the website for designers, developers, product managers, clients, and marketers.
Mockup in software
Mockups in software often come in the form of two-dimensional wireframes and prototypes. Unlike other mockups, mockups in software typically “do not include any styling, color, or graphics.” This is because wireframes and prototypes usually focus on “space allocation, prioritization of content, functionalities available, and intended behaviors.”
Mockups show how user interfaces would look and how they could work for user experience.
Mockup screens and technology mockups
What is a mockup screen? A mockup screen, also sometimes called technology mockups, is where you showcase your content inside a digital screen. Mockup screens and technology mockups allow designers, developers, and relevant audiences to envision how a website or an app might look realistically and responsively on various digital screens, such as:
- Mobile screens – iPhone, Android
- Computer/laptop and tablet screens – Macbook, iMac, iPad
- TVs and screens
- Web and browser
Social media mockups
More than just websites, apps, and software, mockups are also used for social media. Really? Even for social media? Yes! Social media mockups are helpful for branding and marketing presentations to clients or teams.
Marketers and designers use social media mockups to preview how their social media posts would look on Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, TikTok, and Twitter. Why? To save time and effort! You don’t have to create an actual social media profile.
Now that we’ve touched on the digital mockup types, it’s time to move to physical mockup types – starting with an introduction to product mockups!
Product mockups are how a designed product will look realistically and in real-life situations. From coffee mugs, pens/stationery, and packaging and delivery boxes to pillows, water bottles, and tote bags, product mockups are a way to help visualize almost any product you can think of. Yes, that includes items like furniture and fun products like pop sockets, wine glasses, and stress balls!
Clothing and apparel mockups
Clothing and apparel mockups allow fashion designers and marketers to envision what their bespoke wear would look like on real people and in everyday scenarios. Think hoodies, t-shirts, sweatshirts, bridal gowns, backpacks, shoes, flip flops, and toddler wear. Clothing and apparel mockups are popular today because they are easy to use and create and help reduce costs and environmental impact.
What would a business card look like on a work table? Would a book with a chosen background color stand out on a black shelf? Is a poster eye-catching enough in a big hall? That’s what print mockups are for! Print mockups allow designers, business people, and more to preview how their print designs could look in reality before sending them to print.
Mockups are important
Why should you use mockups? Why are mockups essential? There are three main reasons why:
Mockups help visualization.
Mockups are realistic and convincing. They allow designers, developers, marketers, business people, and anyone to visualize their designs, devices, and products. Mockups show how a design, device, or product can be used, making it more understandable to those previewing it. This helps with testing, evaluation, presentations, education, and, most of all, making better decisions.
Mockups save time and effort.
Mockups are easy to use and edit. You can make as many changes as possible before printing, building, or creating your item, saving you valuable time and effort. In addition, with online mockup generators today like Mediamodifier, anyone can easily create mockups without installing any software. Simply drag-and-drop your design, edit it into any background or scenario of your choice, and voila – your mockup is ready to be used!
Mockups reduce costs and are environmentally friendly.
It’s cheaper to create a digital mockup, especially for print, product, clothing, and apparel mockups, than an actual product itself. As mockups help visualization, you can realistically preview how your design, device, or product will look without having the actual item in hand. Mockups enable you to go through multiple rounds of feedback before actual production, ultimately leading to less wastage!
Now that you’re armed with the knowledge of mockups, it’s time to create your own amazing visual:
To help you with that first step, here are some compilations of our best mockup templates:
- Mockups & Templates 13 Buyer Persona Templates That Will Make Your Life Easier
- Mockups & Templates How To Easily Create A Clothing Size Chart + 14 Templates
- Mockups & Templates New iPhone App Mockups: 8 Vibrant Digital Marketing Banners
- Marketing Tips Best LinkedIn Image and Video Size in 2023
- Mockups & Templates 13 New Rollup Mockup Templates Exclusive To Mediamodifier
- Mockups & Templates 11 New Fantastic Packaging Label Templates To Impress Your Customers
- Marketing Tips 10 Reasons To Pay For Professional Mockups
- Marketing Tips How to Sell Digital Downloads on Etsy – The Ultimate Guide
- Mockups & Templates Maximize Customer Loyalty with 12 Awesome Customizable Reward Card Templates
- Marketing Tips Introducing The Guest Post Guidelines For Mediamodifier Blog
- Mockups & Templates 10 New Logo Templates You Can Use For Your Print Company
- Design Tips The Best 7 Colors to Use for Your Social Media Posts in 2023
- Marketing Tips 4 Useful Tactics That Will Boost Your Website’s Conversion Rates
- Tutorials How to Request a Custom Mockup
- Marketing Tips The BEST Marketing Calendar 2023 + 12 FREE Post Templates
- Marketing Tips The Complete Guide To Image Licenses In Marketing
- Mockups & Templates 10 Awesome Christmas Mockup Templates For Last Minute Marketing
- Marketing Tips Video Ads 101: Do They Work, and How To Use Them?
- Mockups & Templates 16 Corporate Stationery Mockup Templates For Beautiful Previews
- Blog 5 of the Best Design and Mockups Affiliate Programs Compared
- Mockups & Templates 10 TV Mockup Templates For Quick Marketing Images
- Mockups & Templates Free Neon Backgrounds with Instant Download
- Mockups & Templates Must Try: 9 Volatile and Practical Collage Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips What Is an Employer Branding Specialist, and Do You Need One?
- Design Tips Turn Boring Photos into Artwork with PNG Shadows (50 Free Overlays)
- Mockups & Templates 16 Incredibly Useful Print Mockup Templates For POD Businesses
- Design Tips 40 Free Organic SVG Backgrounds From Mediamodifier
- Blog Affiliate Marketing Trends to Keep an Eye on in 2023 | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates The 9 Best 3D Browser Mockups for Previewing Your Website
- Mockups & Templates 10 Clothing Mockups With Models You Should Use For Your Online Business
- Tutorials Mockup API – The Complete Guide
- Blog TikTok & The Music Industry: The Impact of Viral Content
- Blog 3 Tips to Improve the Quality of a Mockup
- Mockups & Templates 15 Greeting Card Mockups With Flowers
- Mockups & Templates 10 Most Popular Website Screen Browser Mockup Templates
- Marketing Tips 4 Failproof Ways To Make Money on TikTok
- Mockups & Templates 11 Beautiful Poster Mockups To Preview Your Designs and Artwork
- Blog Best Types of Affiliate Marketing Content | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 11 Business Card Mockups For Quick Professional Previews
- Design Tips Can AI Generate a Product Mockup? We Tested All the Tools to Find Out!
- Mockups & Templates Free Podium Backgrounds for a Stunning Product Showcase
- Blog Logo Design 101: 5 Reasons You Need a New One and How to Nail It
- Mockups & Templates iPhone 14 Mockup Templates With Colorful Backgrounds
- News New Feature: Edit Brightness/Contrast of a Mockup Layer
- Mockups & Templates 6 Loungewear Mockup Templates to Showcase Your Apparel Designs
- Tutorials How to Change the Instagram Story Default Background
- Mockups & Templates 21 Logo Mockup Templates Available in the Mediamodifier Generator
- Mockups & Templates 14 Professional Samsung Galaxy Fold Mockup Templates
- Design Tips How to Add Animated GIF to an Image
- Mockups & Templates 33 Beautiful Blanket Mockup Templates to Use Right Now
- Marketing Tips How to Present a Logo to a Client – 5 Useful Tips
- Blog Tips to Achieve Affiliate Marketing Success | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 Quiz Templates for Instagram Stories to Boost Your Engagement Fast
- Tutorials How to Use the Mediamodifier Mockup Generator for Free
- News Now Is The Best Time to Invest in Mediamodifier
- Blog How to Get Started with Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- News 6 Instagram Updates You Need to Know About – July 2022
- Blog What is Affiliate Marketing | Affiliate Marketing 101
- Mockups & Templates 5 FREE Social Media Templates to Celebrate Pride Month
- Marketing Tips The Marketing Budgets of Big Companies
- Tutorials How to Add a Screenshot to a Computer Screen Stock Photo
- Marketing Tips The Secret to Promoting Your Product with Models
- Design Tips How to Create an Infographic Online With Mediamodifier
- News You Can Now Download SVG Vector Illustration Sets From Mediamodifier
- NFT NFTs: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Blog 8 Tools to Help You Become More Organized, From a Very Unorganized Person
- Design Tips Need Some Font Inspiration? Try These 5 Fonts Available on Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips 6 Websites That Will Make It Easier to Stay on Track When Working From Home
- Marketing Tips Make Your Work Easier With These 10 Productivity Tools
- Mockups & Templates How and Why to Use Client Testimonials + 5 Free Templates
- Tutorials How to Make an Online Invoice With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips Case Study: This User Creates Etsy Listings In Seconds With Mediamodifier
- Marketing Tips The Best POD Tools for a Successful Print-On-Demand Business
- Marketing Tips Case Study: Etsy Star Seller Increased Their Production Speed by 90% With Our Tool
- Design Tips Improve Design Skills With These 6 Projects
- NFT A Look Into the Future of NFT: What Will the Space Look Like in 10 Years?
- Mockups & Templates 10 Easter Instagram Post Templates That You Can Publish in Seconds
- News Spring Sale: Mediamodifier PRO Annual Plan Now 50% Off!
- Marketing Tips Use These Social Media Job Post Templates to Attract the Best Talent
- Marketing Tips 6 TED Talks That All Marketing Students Should Watch
- Marketing Tips 4 Elon Musk Marketing Tips You Could Apply Today
- Marketing Tips April Fools’ Day Marketing Ideas: 4 Brilliant Ideas [Updated 2023]
- Design Tips The Ultimate Design Cheat Sheet for Students
- News New Feature: Mediamodifier Team Accounts Plan
- Mockups & Templates How to Design a LinkedIn Banner for Your Profile
- Blog Introducing the New Mediamodifier Website
- Marketing Tips 5 Ways Mockups Are The Eco-Friendly Marketing Tools of the Future
- News New Feature: SVG Illustrations Inside the Mediamodifier Design Editor
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips to Get More Clients for Your Small Business
- Marketing Tips 5 of the Best Marketing TikTok Pages to Follow for Inspiration and Advice
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Social Media Posts Without Publishing Them
- Marketing Tips 6 Tips for Taking Better Product Photos
- Design Tips 5 Celebrities You Didn’t Know Used to Be Designers
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in March 2023
- Design Tips 8 Design Tips for Making a Good Concept Even Better
- Marketing Tips 5 Common Misconceptions About Social Media Managers
- Marketing Tips Improve Your Content With These 6 Tools For Small Businesses
- Mockups & Templates How to Preview Product Packaging Online (Mockup Tool Tutorial)
- Design Tips 5 Principles of Psychology You Can Use to Improve A Design
- Marketing Tips 3 Smart Valentine’s Day Marketing Ideas To Promote Your Business
- News Why You Should Use This WordPress PoD Plugin for Your Store
- Mockups & Templates 20 Valentine’s Day Card Templates (That You Can Use Right Now)
- NFT 3 Reasons to Use an NFT Maker
- Marketing Tips Print on Demand: 6 Easy Steps to Start a Profitable Side Business
- Post Ideas 10 Post Ideas for Social Media in February 2023
- News This New Feature Makes It Even Easier To Use Our Mockup Editor
- Marketing Tips 5 Smart Ways to Spend Your Marketing Budget
- Marketing Tips Starting a Small Business? 5 Things You’re Forgetting to Do
- NFT How to Use the Mediamodifier NFT Maker
- Mockups & Templates Boost Your Engagement: 9 Instagram Story Ideas
- Design Tips The Best 5 Colors to Use for Your Social Media in 2022
- Marketing Tips Ultimate Social Media Size Guide [Updated July 2022]
- Showroom Happy Fathers Day Mug Design in a Coffee Much On Sand Beach
- Showroom For Rent Sign in yard Sign Mockup Generator in front of House
- Showroom Sign Design in a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom Large Sign Design on a Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom House Rent Sign in Yard Sign Mockup Generator
- Showroom For Rent Sign Design in Yard Sign Mockup Template
- Showroom Rent Advertisement in Yard Sign Mockup Generator